This is to notify the general public that applications are invited from all suitably qualified candidates by the management of the Enugu State University of Science and Technology, (ESUT), School of Postgraduate Studies for their postgraduate programmes 2023/2024 Academic Session. Interested persons are therefore enjoined to start sending the applications immediately.
The invitation for the postgraduate application form is for students who wish to further their education at different postgraduate levels such as; PGD, PGDE, M.Sc, M.Phil, and Ph.D programmes in the Enugu State University of Science and Technology, (ESUT), School of Postgraduate Studies.
The purpose of this article is to enlighten you about everything that is involved in the application of the Enugu State University of Science and Technology, (ESUT) postgraduate studies.
If you are intending to apply for the programme, then it is very necessary that you read this article to the end so as to get the detailed information about the ESUT postgraduate application and the requirements.
Programmes Available for Application
For those who are interested in the application of the Enugu State University of Science and Technology, (ESUT) postgraduate programmes, you have to check the programmes/courses that are available before you can start your application.
The following are the available courses in the ESUT postgraduate school. Kindly select any of them for your application.
1. FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE AND NATURAL RESOURCES
i. Department of Agricultural Economics and Extension
ii. Department of Agronomy and Ecological Management
iii. Department of Animal/Fisheries Science and Management
iv. Department of Food Science and Technology
2. FACULTY OF APPLIED NATURAL SCIENCES (FANS)
i. Department of Applied Biology and Bio-Technology (Parasitology)
ii. Department of Applied Micro-Biology and Brewing
iii. Department of Geology and Mining
iv. Department of Industrial Chemistry
v. Department of Industrial Mathematics and Statistics
vi. Department of Industrial Physics
vii. Department of Computer Science
3. FACULTYOF EDUCATION
i. Department of Education Management
ii. Department of Adult Education
iii. Department of Guidance and Counseling
iv. Department of Library and Information Science
v. Department of Health and Physical Education
vi. Department of Science and Computer Education
vii. Department of Technical and Vocational Education
4. FACULTYOF ENGINEERING
i. Department of Agricultural and Bio-Resource Engineering
ii. Department of Chemical Engineering
iii. Department of Civil Engineering
iv. Department of Computer Engineering
v. Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
vi. Department of Mechanical and Production Engineering
vii. Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
5. FACULTYOF ENVIRONMENTALSCIENCES
i. Department of Architecture
ii. Department of Estate Management
iii. Department of Geography and Meteorology
iv. Department of Quantity Surveying
v. Department of Urban and Regional Planning
6. FACULTYOF LAW
i. Public and Private Law
ii. Business Law
iii. International Law
iv. Community/Property Law
v. Criminal Law
vi. Constitutional Law
vii. Environmental law
viii. Family Law & Law of Evidence
7. FACULTYOF MANAGEMENT SCIENCES
i. Department of Accountancy
ii. Department of Banking and Finance
iii. Department of Business Administration
iv. Department of Co-operative and Rural Development
v. Department of Insurance and Risk Management
vi. Department of Mass Communication
vii. Department of Marketing
viii. Department of Public Administration
8. FACULTYOF BASIC CLINICALSCIENCES
i. Department of Pharmacology
9. FACULTYOF CLINICAL MEDICINE
i. Department of Community Medicine
ii. Department of Surgery
10. FACULTYOF BASIC MEDICALSCIENCES
i. Department of Community Medicine
ii. Department of Bio-Medical Technology/Engineering
11. FACULTY OF SOCIAL SCIENCES AND HUMANITIES
i. Department of Economics
ii. Department of Political Science
iii. Department of Psychology
iv. Department of Sociology and Anthropology
v. Institute of Peace, Conflict and Development Studies
Though the general publics are invited for the application of the Enugu State University of Science and Technology, (ESUT) Postgraduate programme, it should be clear to you that it is not everybody that due for the application.
In this section, I will show you the categories of persons who should apply for the ESUT postgraduate programmes. The following categories of persons may apply for admission and registration for the Postgraduate Diploma programme:
- Graduates of Enugu State University of Science and Technology or graduates from other approved universities who hold first degree qualifications acceptable to Senate;
- Candidates who hold good grades of non-first degree qualifications which are acceptable to Senate. These include:
- HND (Upper Credit and Above) in relevant discipline;
- HND (Lower Credit) in relevant discipline plus 5 years relevant post qualification experience;
- Holders of professional qualifications such as FIMLT, FNLT, FIST, AIB, ACCA, ACMA, ICAN, CPA, ACCS and ACIS.
ESUT Postgraduate Admission Requirements
The Enugu State University of Science and Technology, (ESUT), School of postgraduate Studies has their special criteria for giving to all prospective postgraduate students.
To be offered admission in the Enugu State University of Science and Technology, (ESUT) postgraduate school, you must possess the following qualifications depending the particular programme that you wish to go for.
ESUT Postgraduate Diploma Admission Requirements – PGD.
The following are the requirements for admission into Enugu State University of Science and Technology, (ESUT) Postgraduate Diploma (PGD)
- Any candidates for this programme must have at least five (5) credits passes including English, Mathematics and two other relevant science subjects to his profession at ‘O’ Level.
- Candidates with Bachelor’s Degree From an approved University must obtain a minimum of pass degree in the relevant science discipline.
- Holders of HND in relevant programmes from approved institutions with a minimum of upper credit may also be considered for admission.
ESUT Masters Degree Admission Requirements – M.Sc.
The following are the requirements for admission into Enugu State University of Science and Technology, (ESUT) Masters Degree programmes
All candidates must have at least five (5) credits passes including English and Mathematics and two other science subjects relevant to his chosen profession at ‘O’ Level.
Academic Masters Degree Programme
Academic Master’s Programmes qualify candidates for higher degrees while professional programmes are terminal.
- Candidates with bachelor’s degree from an approved university must obtain a minimum of second class lower division with a CGPA of 3.0/5.0 for an academic programme.
- Candidates with at least a third class Degree or HND and university PGD with CGPA of 3.0/5.0 may be considered for admission into academic Master’s Degree Programmes.
Professional Masters Degree Programmes
- Candidates for Professional Master’s Degree Programme must obtain a minimum of second class lower division.
- Candidates with university Degree in Third Class or HND plus a university PGD at credit level pass, (i.e. CGPA of 3.0/5.0) or 50% on weighted percentages average may be considered for admission into professional Master’s Degree Programmes.
- All candidates must demonstrate adequate intellectual capacity, maturity and effective decision making and problem solving potentials.
ESUT Doctor of Philosophy Admission Requirements – Ph.D.
The following are the requirements for admission into Doctorates programmes in the Enugu State University of Science and Technology, (ESUT)
Candidates for Ph.D. admission must satisfy the following conditions:
- Candidate must have at least five (5) credit passes including English, mathematics and two other science subjects that are relevant his chosen profession at O’ Level.
- Candidates with Bachelor’s degree from approved universities must obtain a minimum of second class lower Division with a CPGA of 3.0/5.0.
- Candidates must have Academic master’s Degree in relevant areas with a CGPA of 4.0/5.0 and thesis scored not lower than 60% (B).
- Candidates must demonstrate adequate intellectual capacity, maturity and effective decision making and problem solving potentials.
In addition the above requirements, candidates for any postgraduate programme in the Enugu State University of Science and Technology, (ESUT) must meet the NUC minimum admission requirement as stipulated in the NUC Postgraduate benchmark. To see more detail about these NUC minimum requirements, kindly visit www.esut.edu.ng for details.
How to Apply for ESUT Postgraduate Programmes
To apply for the Enugu State University of Science and Technology, (ESUT) postgraduate programmes, you have to follow these step by step procedures:
- The ESUT Postgraduate Admission forms are available online at www.esut.edu.ng and cost N20,000 only.
- Generate an invoice on ESUT portal and the take the Generated invoice to any of the following banks: SKYE Bank Plc, Access Bank Plc, and Fidelity Bank Plc to pay for the application form. There is also provision for online payment using Interswitch platform.
- Use any of these browsers for more application (e.g. Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, etc.)
- On the selected browser type www.esut.edu.ng
- Click on University Portal (at top hand right corner of ESUT website).
- Under Postgraduate section, click on “Generate Invoice” hyperlink
- Enter your telephone number and click submit button
- Enter surname, first name, middle name, email address, and click on submit button.
- Printout your Postgraduate Application Form Payment slips.
- Proceed to the bank for payment with the payment slip.
- After payment in the bank, return to the portal, portal.esut.edu.ng
- Under Postgraduate section, click on “Fill PG Application Form” hyperlink
- Enter your Reference No. given to you by the bank, and click submit button
- The Application form appears for the applicant to complete.
- Upload a scanned coloured passport photograph on white background (maximum size of 100KB)
- Click submit button
- Print out Acknowledgement Slip
After the application, applicants should get their transcripts ready which to be sent to the Secretary, School of Postgraduate Studies, Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu State, Nigeria: E-mail: [email protected]
The deadline for the application of the ESUT Postgraduate admission is yet to be announced by the school. However, you should keep checking this site as I am going to update this article once the date is published by the institution.
Procedure for Admission
- The Departmental Postgraduate Studies Committee shall recommend candidates for admission to Senate through the Faculty Postgraduate Studies Committee and the Board of the School of Postgraduate Studies .
- A candidate offered admission must accept it within 3 months of the date of the offer.
- A candidate must register at the commencement of a session. However, where there are acceptable reasons, registration can be deferred by one session only.
Mode of Study Postgraduate Diploma
- The academic programme leading to the Postgraduate Diploma shall be by course work and a creative research project. The academic programme shall be approved by Senate on the recommendation of the Departmental Postgraduate Studies Committee through the Faculty Postgraduate Committee and the School of Postgraduate Studies Board.
The Postgraduate Diploma course must be distinct from undergraduate courses and master’s programme but may include undergraduate courses for students who have deficiencies.
- A candidate may register for the full time or part time. Any member of staff of the University who possesses the necessary qualifications may be admitted for part time study.
Duration of the Postgraduate Diploma Programme
- The full-time Postgraduate Diploma programmes shall last for a minimum of 12 calendar months, while the part-time programmes shall last for a minimum of 18 months. The evening programmes where they exist shall last for 4 semesters.
Examination and Assessment of the Candidates’ Work
- The workload shall be made up of at least 28 credit hours and at most 36 credit hours including a research project of 6 credit hours;
- There shall be an examination for each course at the end of each semester. The departments shall determine the courses to be registered by candidates for each semester or number of credit hours to be covered by the candidates in a semester provided the credit hours do not exceed 18 per semester.
The passing grade in a course would be C. (50) on a 5-points grade scale. But candidates will be expected to obtain 2.0 cumulative grade point average for a Diploma certificate to be awarded.
- At the end of each semester, there shall be the Postgraduate Diploma examination. There shall be an oral examination for the defence of project report.
- The Postgraduate Diploma project report shall follow the format and regulations of the degree project report of the University and work reported therein must be work done during the approved period of the programme.
Mode of Study All the Postgraduate Programmes
A candidate may register for either full-time or past-time. A candidate engaged in any work other than his advanced study must submit the details through the Departmental Postgraduate Studies Committee and School of Postgraduate which shall recommend to Senate the minimum period to be prescribed for the candidate’s study.
Where a candidate is engaged in work other than his advanced study for more than 12 hours a week, his period of study shall normally be longer than the period of full-time study by about one-third.
Member of staff of the University including staff and research fellows who possesses the necessary qualifications may be admitted for part time study only.
Where course work is involved, it shall be based on a programme approved by Senate on the recommendation of the Departmental Postgraduate Studies Committee and through the Faculty Postgraduate Studies Committee and Board of the School of Postgraduate Studies.
Where qualifying examination and/or remedial programme are necessary, the candidate’s department would be expected to inform the school on the remedial courses to be offered.
Duration for Masters Degree Programme
The Degree of Master’s shall last for a minimum of 12 calendar months for full-time or 18 months for part-time students. The maximum duration shall be three years for full-time students and four years for part-time students.
Senate does not normally grant approval for extension of period of study but in special circumstances, application shall be received and considered on individual merit.
Such application, which must be channeled through the candidate’s supervisor, Departmental and Faculty Postgraduate Committees, is to be addressed to the Dean, School of Postgraduate Studies for the consideration of the Board of the School and recommendation to Senate.
For any other questions about the ESUT Postgraduate Admission Form 2023/2024 Academic Session, kindly use the comment session below.
Please share this article to others if it has helped you.