The FUAM Postgraduate Admission for 2023/2024 Academic Session is ongoing. In this article, I am going to show you all that you need to know about the admission processes, postgraduate admission requirements and the application procedure.
Have you been searching for how to apply for the Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi (FUAM) Postgraduate Admission? Are you looking for a Federal University to enroll for your postgraduate programmes? Do you wish to study in the Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi (FUAM) for your Postgraduate Programmes? If you any of your answers to the above questions is ‘YES’, then this article is specially prepared for you.
This is a call to interested and all suitably qualified applicants for the application of the FUAM Postgraduate Admission for the 2023/2024 Academic Session. Before the commencement of the application, it is important to see what are required of you to secure the admission. Those things are part of what I am going to show you in this article.
To know more about the FUAM postgraduate admission for the 2023/2024 academic session, do well to read this article from the beginning to the end.
Programmes Available for Application At FUAM
The following programmes are available for application at Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi (FUAM) for the 2023/2024 Academic session.
|College of Agricultural & Science Education
|PGDE, M.Ed, MLIS and Ph.D in Agricultural Education, English Education, Educational Administration & Planning, Guidance & Counseling, Library & Information Science, Measurement & Evaluation, Science Education, Integrated Science Education and Mathematics Education in the Departments of Educational Foundation and General Studies (EFOGENS), Agricultural Education, Science Education and Mathematics Education
|College of Agricultural Economics & Extension
|PGD, M.Sc. and Ph.D in the Departments of Agricultural Economics and Agricultural Extension & Communication
|College of Agronomy
|PGD, M.Sc. and Ph.D. in the Departments of Crop Production, Crop & Environmental Protection, Soil Science and Plant Breeding & Seed Science
|College of Animal Science
|PGD, M.Sc. & Ph.D in the Departments of Animal Production, Animal Breeding & Physiology, and Animal Nutrition
|College of Biological Sciences
|PGD, M.Sc, Ph.D in the Departments of Botany, Biochemistry, Zoology and Microbiology
|College of Engineering
|PGD, M.Eng and Ph.D in the Departments of Agricultural & Environmental Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical/Electronic Engineering and Mechanical Engineering
|College of Food Technology & Human Ecology
|PGD, M.Sc, and Ph.D in the Departments of Food Science & Technology and Home Science & Management
|College of Forestry & Fisheries
|PGD, M.Sc, M.For, M.Wildlife and Ph.D in Aquaculture, Forestry, Fisheries, Social & Environmental Forestry and Wide life in the Departments of Fisheries & Aquaculture, Forest Production & Products, Social & Environmental Forestry and Wildlife & Range Management
|College of Management Sciences
|PGD, M.Sc, MBA and Ph.D in Accounting, Agribusiness, Banking & Finance Public Administration and Management in the Departments of Accounting & Finance, Agribusiness and Business Administration
|College of Physical Sciences
|PGD, M.Sc, Ph.D in the Departments of Chemistry, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science and Physics
|College of Veterinary Medicine
|M.Sc. and Ph.D in Veterinary Microbiology, Veterinary Parasitology, Veterinary Pathology, Veterinary Pharmacology, Veterinary Physiology, Veterinary Public Health, Veterinary Preventive Medicine, Veterinary Epidemiology, Veterinary Surgery and Theriogenology in the Departments of Pharmacology & Toxicology, Surgery & Diagnostic Imaging, Theriogenology, Veterinary Anatomy, Veterinary Medicine, Veterinary Pathology & Microbiology, Veterinary Physiology & Biochemistry and Veterinary Public Health & Preventive Medicine
FUAM Postgraduate Admission Requirements
FUAM Postgraduate admission for the 2023/2024 academic session is open for application into Postgraduate Diploma (PGD), Master’s Degree Programmes and Doctoral Degree Programmes. To be considered for admission into any of these programmes, you have to possess the necessary requirements as stipulated by the management of the institution for all the programmes.
In this section, I am going to show you all the admission requirements for each of the programme that are offered in the Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi (FUAM)
General Admission Requirements
Candidates must possess the basic Ordinary Level requirements of 5 credits passes including English Language and Mathematics at not more than two sittings in addition to the following:
Postgraduate Diploma (PGD/PGDE):
- Graduates of JOSTUM or any other recognized University in the relevant areas.
- Holders of HND with minimum pass at credit level or equivalent in relevant areas from recognised institutions.
- Candidates who possess a Bachelor’s Degree in relevant areas from JOSTUM or any other recognized University with a minimum of Second Class Honours.
- Candidates with Third Class Degree or HND in relevant areas, with appropriate Postgraduate Diplomas of JOSTUM or any other recognized Institution with a minimum CGPA of 3.50 or at least Upper Credit in the PGD. In addition, holders of HND, PGD/PGDE Certificates should satisfy the basic School Certificate or GCE/entry requirement as stated above.
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D):
Holders of Master degree of JOSTUM or other recognized Universities with a minimum CGPA or 3.50 on a 5 point scale, provided that satisfactory research work formed part of the degree may apply. Relevant prerequisites apply.
Departmental Admission Requirements
The postgraduate admission requirements based on different majors include the following:
Admission Requirements PGD, M.Eng AND Ph.D.
All candidates must have Five O’ Level credit passes including English, Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry.
Postgraduate Diploma, PGD
A graduate from a recognized University with at least a pass degree or a holder of a minimum of upper credits in the Higher National Diploma (HND) from a recognized institution may be admitted. Holders of the HND at lower units with a minimum of five (5) years post-qualification relevant experience may be considered.
Masters of Engineering (M.Eng) Degree
- A candidate with a first degree in a relevant Engineering discipline from a recognized University with minimum of a second class lower division may be admitted provided the University matriculation requirement is satisfied.
- A candidate with an upper credit pass in the Postgraduate Diploma (PGD), in a relevant Engineering discipline, from a recognized University may also be admitted to a Masters Degree Programme provided the University matriculation requirements are satisfied.
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Degree
A candidate who holds a Masters degree, with a minimum CGPA of 3.50 on a 5-point scale or an average of 60%, which includes coursework and research thesis in a relevant Engineering discipline, from a recognized university may be admitted provided the University matriculation requirement is satisfied.
Mode of Examination
Examination shall consist of written examination for course work, comprehensive examination (for Ph.D. students only), grading of reports/thesis and an oral Examination (thesis defense).
- For all postgraduate coursework, the minimum pass score shall be 50%; continuous assessment shall constitute not less than 30% of the examination for each course;
- Any student who fails in any course, shall repeat such a course; and
- Any student whose Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) falls below 2.50 at the end of two consecutive semesters shall be required to withdraw from the programme.
The scoring and grading of courses shall be as follows:
Post-Graduate Diploma (PGD)
|70 and above
|60 – 69
|50 – 59
|45 – 49
|40 – 44
|0 – 39
Master of Engineering (M.Eng) & Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
|70 and above
|60 – 69
|50 – 59
|0 – 49
Thesis or Dissertation
A panel of examiners shall be composed to orally assess a thesis or dissertation according to the regulations of the University.
For the Masters Programme and Ph.D., the pass grade begins from grade C whereas for the PGD programme it is from grade D as shown above. The final Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) will be based on the total credit load for both course work and thesis.
CLASS CGPA RANGE
Distinction – 4.50 – 5.00
Upper Credit – 3.50 – 4.49
Lower Credit – 2.40 – 3.49
Pass – 1.50 – 2.39
Fail – Less than 1.50
Graduation Requirements For PGD M.Eng And Ph.D
To qualify for graduation:
- Candidates for post graduate Diploma must have been credited with at least 67 units of compulsory courses which include the project report.
- Candidates for Masters or Doctorate Degrees shall pass all prescribed courses in addition to presentation and successful defense of a Thesis. A CGPA of at least 3.5 shall be earned.
Duration of Programmes and Residential Requirements
The maximum and minimum duration of Postgraduate Programmes shall be as follows:
Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) Programmes
- 2 Semesters Minimum (1 Session)
- 4 Semesters Maximum (2 Sessions)
- The above notwithstanding, the duration for Engineering Programmes shall be
- 4 Semesters Minimum (2 Session)
- 6 Semesters Maximum (3 Sessions)
Master Degree Programmes
- 4 Semesters Minimum (2 Sessions)
- 6 Semesters Maximum (3 Sessions)
- 6 Semester Minimum (3 Sessions)
- 8 Semesters Maximum (4 Sessions)
Doctorate (Ph.D) Programmes
- 6 Semesters Minimum (3 Sessions)
- 8 Semesters Maximum (4 Sessions)
- 8 Semesters Minimum (4 Sessions)
- 10 Semesters Maximum (5 Sessions)
The registration of a candidate for Higher Degree or Postgraduate Diploma shall elapse if after the maximum duration of the programme the candidate has not successfully completed his/her programme.
Extension of period of study
Above notwithstanding, Senate can grant an extension of period of study based on exceptional circumstances. Application for extension should pass through the Supervisor, Head of Department, Dean of College, Postgraduate School Board and finally to Senate. Such extension cannot exceed one year for Master’s and two years for Ph.D.
Revalidation of studentship is considered upon expiration of period of extension, under exceptional circumstances. In this case, the student applies to Senate through the Department, College and Postgraduate School Board. A period equivalent to the normal residency may be approved. The student must qualify to graduate at the end of approved period or withdraws from University without further extension.
Suspension of Studies
Suspension of studies is only on ground of illness with evidence of medical report for not more than two (2) semesters in the first instance. If the illness persists, the balance of two (2) more semesters may be granted in the last instance.
This regulation came into force with effect from 2012/2013 academic session. (Paper for 253rd regular Senate, 22ndApril, 2014)
To be eligible to write examination in each course registered, a student must meet the minimum requirement of 75% attendance at lectures, practicals and seminars etc.
The Minimum total credit hours for taught courses for Postgraduate programmes shall be as follows;
- Postgraduate Diploma – 18
- Master Degree – 24
- Doctorate Degree – 24
Credit hours for research is 6, 12 and 24, respectively for PGD, Master and Doctorate.
Credit Hours For Graduation
The Minimum total credit hours required for graduation for Postgraduate programmes are as follows;
- Postgraduate Diploma – 24
- Master’s Degree – 36
- Doctorate Degree – 48
In the Master and Doctoral programmes, assessment of student’s achievements is based on:
- Course Examination
- Continuous assessment: Term papers, Seminars, essays, tests, etc.
Examinations, Grading Procedure & Results
- In addition to continuous assessment, a final examination shall be given for every course at the end of every semester.
The total scores obtainable for every course shall be 100% as follows:
Continuous Assessment 30%
Final Examination 70%
FUAM Postgraduate Registration Procedure
FUAM Postgraduate Registration procedure involves many stages which are going to be followed one after the other. If you have gone through postgraduate admission requirements and you possess the required criteria for admission consideration, you have to follow the steps that I am going to show you in this section for your complete registration.
How To Apply For FUAM Postgraduate Admission
To apply for the Federal University of Agriculture, Markurdi (FUAM) postgraduate admission, you should carefully follow the guidelines provided below:
Step 1: Visit the FUAM Postgraduate admission application portal at: https://entry.uam.edu.ng/pg/
Step 2: If you do not have account on the portal before, make sure you create one.
How to Create the Account
- To create the account, enter your Email Address. This will be used as your user name. We will also use this email address to contact you regarding your application.
- Type in the security code (case-sensitive). This helps protect our online application service.
- Enter your password. Select a password that is easy for you to remember but is not obvious to others.
- It must be at least six characters long and should contain numbers and letters.
- Finally, click the “Create Account” button. You will be asked to confirm your password.
Step 3: Upon creation of an account, a unique application number will be issued. Copy the application number in a save place (Do not delete the email that will be sent to you). It is your reference number throughout your application.
Step 4: Make a payment of a non-refundable fee of N20,500 online using your debit card (MasterCard, Verve) or generate your RRR on the portal and visit any branch of the Commercial banks nationwide.
Step 5: A confirmation slip will be issued to you containing a 14-digit unique number as Payment Identification Number (PIN), which will enable you to continue your application. Please ensure this number is on the slip printed for you before leaving the bank.
Candidates must arrange for their academic transcripts to be forwarded to the Secretary, Postgraduate School before the deadline that will be given by the university.
Resumption and Registration Procedure
The Resumption date for all newly admitted FUAM Postgraduate students is yet to be published by the management of the institution. As such, those that have been admitted into the institution are expected to be checking this site for all latest updates about FUAM Postgraduate admission and resumption date.
NOTE: Registration for postgraduate students will only last for two weeks and students are expected to complete their payments and online registration on or before any date that will be published by the university.
All admitted candidates should ensure that they adhere to the following pre-resumption instructions:
Check the University website www.uam.edu.ng to confirm that your name is on the admission list and Department/Programme of Study you are admitted to study in the University.
Payment Options for Fees/Charges
Students that have been admitted into FUAM postgraduate school should be aware that there are only three payment options for their school fees. These options are what I am going to be showing you in this section of the article.
Internet Banking: go to the University website and follow the instruction on our website to make your payment on the portal using your bank ATM card.
Mobile Banking: Use your ATM card on a mobile device (i.e. internet ready handset, ipad, etc) on the portal fees.uam.edu.ng to pay your fees/charges. Follow the instruction at www.uam.edu.ng.
Bank Branch: Go to any branch nation-wide) of any Commercial Bank to pay the fees.
The video and text instructions/guidelines of how to make payment using the three options is contained on our website www.uam.edu.ng.
Registration Guideline for Newly Admitted Students
- Use any of the three Fees/charges payment option by either going to the participating Banks or use your ATM card for our Internet Banking or mobile banking to pay N20,350.00 non-refundable Acceptance Fee (You will be given a Pin Number on a Receipt printout. You will required to use this PIN to get your admission details).
- Go to the University portal (entry.uam.edu.ng/adm) and use the Pin to printout your Acceptance Letter of Offer of Provisional Admission.
- Sign a copy of the Acceptance Letter and take along with you all original certificates and two passport copies to Postgraduate School (In North core) for verification (you are advised to clear with the Postgraduate School before proceeding to the Bank to pay school fees and charges).
- Proceed to ICT Directorate (South Core) for a Passport Photograph that will be uploaded to the University Portal.
- If the Postgraduate School certifies your certificates and qualifications for the Degree/Diploma programme you are being admitted into, then proceed to the participating banks to pay your School Charges.
- After payment of the mandatory school charges/fees, proceed to your Department to confirm the courses you will be offering this semester.
- Return back to ICT to register online and printout your Student Data form and Registration form. Note that online registration is complete only when you click Submit.
Check-List of Items to Bring for Clearance and Verification
Before coming for submission of registration details, make sure you come along with the following Items:
- Signed copy of Acceptance of Offer of Provisional Admission from the Portal
- Printed copy of Letter of Provisional Admission from the Portal
- Original and photocopy of Birth Certificate
- Original and photocopy of O’Level Certificates/Statement of Results, Degrees and Diploma
- Two copies of passport photograph
- Certificate of Indigeneship from your Local Government (for Nigerians)
Confirmation of Registration
Once you fill your forms online and click submit, pay your school fees after you have been screened online, go to portal.uam.edu.ng and do your course registration on the portal using your Application Number as username and PIN as password on your payment slip to print the approved registration forms.
All printed registration forms must be duly signed by appropriate Head of Department, Dean of College and Dean, Postgraduate School for completeness of the registration process. Such signed registration forms must be submitted to the aforementioned Officers for documentation.
FUAM Postgraduate Admission Application Deadline
The application deadline for the 2023/2024 FUAM postgraduate admission has not been announced by the university as at the time of publishing this post. However, all interested applicants are advised to always refresh this page as updates on the deadline shall be made available here as soon as it is published by the school.
Support and Inquiries
For any inquiry or support use the following helplines:
Telephone call and text message during working hours only: 08111753334, 08186570255 and 07039049691
Live chart with our staff: check www.uam.edu.ng.
Physical contact on campus: ICT HelpDesk, Block B, South-Core or ICT HelpDesk, Postgraduate School, North-Core or Postgraduate School Room 3.
I believe that you are satisfied with information provided in this article that you have just read. For any other questions about FUAM Postgraduate Admission 2023/2024 Academic Session, kindly make use of the comment section below this article.
Please, do not forget to share this article to others!