The application portal for Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship 2023/2024 is now open for all interested applicants. Check how to apply for the award here.
Are you an international student in search of scholarships to study in Canada, or a Canadian student who wants to fund your studies abroad? Look no further.
On this website you will find numerous awards for international students and scholars in Canada, and for Canadians to study and conduct research abroad. These awards are offered by Canadian governments, foreign governments, non-governmental organizations and international organizations.
Make sure that read this article carefully to the end if you really want to secure an opportunity to be offered this fully-funded scholarship award.
- About Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship
- Eligibility For Commonwealth Scholarship
- Eligible Countries for Commonwealth Scholarship
- Canadian Commonwealth Scholarships For International Students
- International Scholarship Opportunities for Canadians
- Featured Study Programmes in Canada
- Countries Eligible for Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship
- How to Apply for the Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship
- Application Deadline for Canadian Commonwealth
- Tips On How To Get Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship In 2023
- Worth of Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship
About Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship
The Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship is an award opportunity that has been made available by the Government of Canada for International students who wish to further their education to higher level.
The scholarship program was instituted in a bid to promote Canadian values and identity around the world and to help meet the human capital needs of developing countries.
Global Affairs Canada is responsible for the Government of Canada’s participation in major international scholarship programs. It is their major goal to foster understanding among people, develop global citizens, nurture leaders and contribute to the development of nations.
Eligibility For Commonwealth Scholarship
To apply for these scholarships, candidates must:
- Be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country, or be a British Protected Person
- Be permanently resident in an eligible Commonwealth country
- Be available to start their academic studies in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in September 2023
- By September 2023, hold a first degree of at least upper second-class (2:1) honours standard, or a lower second-class degree (2:2) and a relevant postgraduate qualification (usually a Master’s degree)
- Not have studied or worked for one (academic) year or more in a high-income country
- Be unable to afford to study in the UK university without this Scholarship
- Have provided all supporting documentation in the required format
The CSC aims to identify talented individuals who have the potential to make an impact. We are committed to a policy of equal opportunity and non-discrimination and encourage applications from a diverse range of candidates. For further information on the support available to candidates with a disability, see the CSC disability support statement.
The CSC is committed to administering and managing its Scholarships and Fellowships in a fair and transparent manner. For further information, see the CSC anti-fraud policy and the guidance on reporting fraud.
The CSC is committed to proactively safeguard and promote the welfare of our beneficiaries, and to protect its staff, Commissioners, beneficiaries and all those with whom the CSC comes into contact. The CSC requires staff, members of the Commission, applicants for and recipients of CSC awards and suppliers to act consistently with its requirements for safeguarding.
Applicants should note the CSC’s Safeguarding Policy which sets out the obligation for staff, members of the Commission, applicants for and recipients of CSC awards and suppliers to act consistently with its requirements for safeguarding. Any safeguarding concerns should be reported to the Commission at: [email protected]
Eligible Countries for Commonwealth Scholarship
Please note that only candidates from the eligible countries listed below can apply for Commonwealth Shared Scholarships in 2023/24.
Papua New Guinea
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Canadian Commonwealth Scholarships For International Students
If you are not a Canadian and you have been wishing to make Canada your study or research destination, this particular section would be very important to you. There are many opportunities that you can explore here to become a beneficiary of the Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship 2022/2023.
|Scholarship name||Who for||Who applies||How to apply|
|Short-term exchange programs|
|Canada-ASEAN Scholarships and Educational Exchanges for Development (SEED) – for mid-career professionals||Mid-career professionals from ASEAN countries||Individual candidates||Guidelines|
|Canada-ASEAN Scholarships and Educational Exchanges for Development (SEED) – for students||Students from ASEAN countries||Canadian institution||Guidelines|
|Canada-CARICOM Faculty Leadership Program||Faculty or staff at post-secondary institutions in CARICOM countries||Canadian institution||Guidelines|
|Canada-CARICOM Skills Training for the Green Economy Scholarships||Students from CARICOM countries||Canadian colleges and institutes||Guidelines|
|Canada-China Scholars’ Exchange Program||Chinese graduates, teachers, researchers and senior professionals||Individual candidates||Guidelines|
|Emerging Leaders in the Americas Program||Students from Latin America and the Caribbean||Canadian institution||Guidelines|
|Study in Canada Scholarships||Students from: Algeria, Bangladesh, Burkina Faso, Egypt, Ethiopia, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Jordan, Kenya, Libya, Morocco, Nepal, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Taiwan, Tanzania, Tunisia, Turkey, Uganda, and Ukraine||Canadian institution||Guidelines|
Note that there are more scholarship opportunities for International students than the ones listed in the table above.
International Scholarship Opportunities for Canadians
This scholarship is for the best and brightest Canadian students and researchers to study and conduct research abroad.
Check through the links provided in this section country of destination to find scholarships, fellowships or funding opportunities made available by Global Affairs Canada and other Canadian federal government departments.
- Canadian students who wish to study abroad should check here: Student or Postdoctoral Researchers
- Check faculty to conduct researches abroad at: Faculty Member or Researchers
- Academic Institutions: Invite students and host a post-doc from abroad; develop an OAS course
- Professionals: Research and career development
|Scholarship name||Who for||Who applies||How to apply|
|International awards for Canadians|
|Canada-China Scholars’ Exchange Program||Canadian students, faculty, researchers and professionals||Individual candidates||Guidelines|
|Faculty Mobility For Partnership Building Program||Canadian faculty and researchers||Canadian institutions||Guidelines|
|Foreign Government Awards – Korea||Canadian graduate students||Individual candidates||Guidelines|
|Organization of American States (OAS) Academic Scholarships Program||Canadian graduate students||Individual candidates||Guidelines|
|Organization of American States (OAS) – Professional Development Scholarships Program||Canadian professionals||Individual candidates||Guidelines|
Why Study in Canada
Someone must have been asking, “Why is everybody talking about studying in Canada?” In this section, I will show you the reason why choosing to study Canada is very special to so many persons.
Studying in Canada will give you opportunities more than you can ever think of. Such benefits that one stands to enjoy by studying in Canada are as follow;
- access to high-quality education recognized worldwide
- learning from world leading experts and academics
- making valuable contacts that will shape your future
- preparation for a career in the global marketplace
Featured Study Programmes in Canada
Canadian Commonwealth scholarships offers students the opportunity to enroll in any of the under listed study programmes in different fields of specializations;
- Study in French across Canada
- Elementary and high school studies in Canada
- Study artificial intelligence in Canada
- Study in Atlantic Canada
- Study STEM in the Prairies
- Master’s or PhD studies in Canada
- MBA in Canada
Countries Eligible for Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship
Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship 2023/2024 is open for all qualified applicants from any of the Commonwealth Countries of the world.
Read more about: Complete List of Commonwealth Countries
Required Documents for the Application
The following are the documents that are needed for the application of the Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship 2022/2023:
- Academic Documents:
- Degree certificate
- Academic transcript
- Personal Statement
- Motivational Letter
- One unconditional UK university offer.
How to Apply for the Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship
The application of the Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship 2023/2024 is only done online. And to begin your application, you have to follow the basic required steps.
In this section of the article, I shall be guiding you on the procedure for the application of the Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship 2023/2024
To see the details and how you can apply for this scholarship, kindly open the link with the apply button below:
Completing the application form
In the application form, candidates will be asked to:
- List all undergraduate and postgraduate university qualifications obtained
- List up to 10 publications and prizes
- Provide details of their employment history and explain how each job is relevant to the programme to be undertaken in the UK
- Provide a statement on the relevance of their previous work experience to the proposed Scholarship
- List names and positions of three referees who are qualified to comment on both the candidate’s capacity to benefit from the proposed Scholarship in the UK and their ability to deliver development impact afterwards. One referee must be a current employer (if applicable)
- Provide a Development Impact statement in 4 parts.
The first part should explain how the candidate’s proposed Scholarship relates to:
- Development issues at the global, national, and local level
- Development issues connected to your chosen CSC development theme and the wider sector.
The second part should explain how the candidate intends to apply their new skills and qualification after returning home.
The third part should outline what the candidate expects will change in development terms following the Scholarship, including:
- The outcomes they aim to achieve
- The timeframe for their implementation
- Who the beneficiaries will be
The fourth part should outline how the impact of the candidate’s work could be best measured. It should:
- Confirm what the candidate’s award objectives are and how each of them will be met by the Scholarship programme
- Confirm what the candidate’s objectives are for the next five years and how each of them will be met by the Scholarship programme
- Confirm what the candidate’s objectives are in the longer term and how each of them will be met by the Scholarship programme
- Provide a personal statement to summarise the ways in which the candidate’s personal background has encouraged them to want to make an impact in their home country. Candidates should indicate areas in which they have already contributed, such as having overcome any personal or community barriers in the chosen career
- Summarise the ways in which the candidate has engaged in voluntary activities and the opportunities where they have had to demonstrate leadership
Each participating UK University will conduct its own recruitment process to select a specified number of candidates to be awarded Commonwealth Shared Scholarships. Universities must put forward their selected candidates to the CSC in March 2023. The CSC will then confirm that these candidates meet the eligibility criteria for this programme. Universities will inform candidates of their results by July 2023.
Applications will be considered according to the following selection criteria:
- Academic merit of the candidate
- Quality of the plan of study
- Potential impact on the development of the candidate’s home country
Tenure and placement
Scholarships are tenable for any approved course offered by a participating UK university. Scholars are to obtain one degree; funding will not be extended to enable candidates to complete a qualification in addition to or higher than the one for which the selection was made.
Shared Scholarships are for full-time study only and no other course of study may be undertaken at the same time.
Candidates must take the necessary steps to apply for admission to their preferred university. Many courses have strict admission deadlines and candidates should check admission requirements carefully when applying.
Commonwealth Shared Scholarships are jointly funded by the CSC and participating UK universities.
Each scholarship provides:
- Approved airfare from the Scholar’s home country to the UK and return at the end of their Scholarship (the CSC will not reimburse the cost of fares for dependants, nor the cost of journeys made before the award is confirmed) – funded by the CSC
- Approved tuition fees: full fees are covered by agreement between the CSC and the UK university, and Scholars are not liable to pay for any part of the tuition fee
- Stipend (living allowance) at the rate of £1,236 per month, or £1,516 per month for those at universities in the London metropolitan area (rates quoted at current levels) – paid and funded by the university
- Warm clothing allowance, where applicable – paid and funded by the university
- Thesis grant towards the cost of preparing a thesis or dissertation, where applicable – claimed from and paid by the university; funded by the CSC
- Study travel grant towards the cost of study-related travel within the UK or overseas – claimed from and paid by the university; funded by the CSC
- Contribution towards the cost of a mandatory tuberculosis (TB) test, where required for a visa application (receipts must be supplied) – claimed from and paid by the university; funded by the CSC
- If Scholars have children and are widowed, divorced, or a single parent, child allowance of £529 per month for the first child, and £131 per month for the second and third child under the age of 16, if Scholars are accompanied by their children and they are living with them at the same address in the UK (rates quoted at current levels)
- If Scholars share that they have a disability, a full assessment of their needs and eligibility for additional financial support will be offered by the CSC.
The CSC’s family allowances are intended to only be used as a contribution towards the cost of maintaining a Scholar’s family in the UK. The true costs are likely to be considerably higher. Scholars must be able to supplement these allowances to support any family members who come to the UK with them.
Application Deadline for Canadian Commonwealth
The last date for the application of the Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship is usually December and February for July and September intakes respectively. Meanwhile, all interested and qualified candidates are enjoined to start making ready all the application processes as no late application shall be accepted.
Tips On How To Get Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship In 2023
Thousands of applicants apply for the Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship for every academic year but only few are usually chosen. Getting selected for the scholarship only requires the application of the basic tips that I am going to share with you in this section.
If you want to be selected for the Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship in 2023, you have to engage the following tips:
1. Make sure you are eligible and stick to the word limit
2. Share your achievements to prove your worth
3. Have it in your mind that there are no right or wrong answers
4. Talk about how the scholarship will impact your life
5. Show how getting the scholarship will benefit people in your home country and local areas.
6. Go for it, and if it doesn’t work out the first time, keep trying
- Federal Government Scholarship for BEA
- University Of Calabria International Scholarship – A.Y.
- Chevening Scholarship UK | Fully Funded
- USTC Scholarship China | Fully Funded
- University Of Alberta International Scholarship Award
- York University Tentanda Via Awards For International Students In Canada
Worth of Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship
The Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship is a fully-funded scholarship for masters in Canada. It is for candidates with exceptional intellect from Commonwealth countries who are applying to advanced study and research programmes at the Master and Ph.D. levels.
The grant covers airfare, a living allowance, and tuition expenses. It includes Graduate Student Exchange Programs (GSEP), which pay $10,000 for transportation, living expenses, and other expenditures in Canada for 5-6 months.
I believe that this article has been helpful to you. kindly make use of the comment section for more information about Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship 2023/2024.
Do well to share this information to others using any of the available social media platforms.