Interested in Architectural and Urban Design? The CUHK Design Talent International Scholarship application is ongoing; do not miss the opportunity for any reason.
The School of Architectural Design, Chinese University of Hong Kong is currently accepting application from all suitably qualified applicants for their Design Talent International Scholarship Awards in Hong Kong, China.
This is to foster a reasonable support to young and talented scholars who are dedicated to scaling a higher height in the Architecture and Urban Design career.
- About School Of Architecture In Chinese University Of Hong Kong
- Overview of the CUHK Design Talent International Scholarship Award
- Eligibility for the CUHK Design Talent International Scholarship
- Admission Requirements For International Students
- General Admissions Requirements
- English Language Requirements for Admission
- How To Apply For CUHK Design Talent International Scholarship
- Documents Required for the Application of CUHK Design Talent International Scholarship
About School Of Architecture In Chinese University Of Hong Kong
The School of Architecture at the Chinese University of Hong Kong is strongly committed to developing students’ core competency and critical thinking in order to achieve design creativity and leadership that enable lasting contributions to our built environment.
The curriculum is designed not merely to train students to join the architectural profession, but to educate them in adapting to inevitable, future changes to be encountered during their careers.
Under the leadership of Professor Hendrik Tieben, the School seeks to integrate design and research in its accredited professional programme comprising four-year BSSc in Architectural Studies and two-year MArch degrees.
Other postgraduate degree includes the MSc in Urban Design, in addition to the MPhil and PhD research degrees.
There is no more exceptional time and place to study and practice architecture and urban design than now in Hong Kong, situated at the heart of the region in China and Asia where 21st century cities are changing and growing with unprecedented speed and scale.
The graduates of the institution will be challenged to become both visionary and grounded in order to design buildings and cities both beautifully and responsibly while striving to shape a better world for their generation.
Overview of the CUHK Design Talent International Scholarship Award
- University or Organization: The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Department: School of Architecture
- Course Level: Masters’ degree
- Awards: Half tuition-fees
- Number of Awards: 3
- Access Mode: Online
- Nationality: Domestic and international students
- The award can be taken in Hong Kong
- Eligible Countries: All nationalities
- Eligible Course or Subjects: Master of Science in Urban Design and Master of Architecture Programmes.
Eligibility for the CUHK Design Talent International Scholarship
To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following/given criteria:
- The applicants should have an undergraduate degree from a recognized university.
- Young talents with outstanding academic performance who demonstrate excellent design ability and potential in the field of urban design
Admission Requirements For International Students
The “International Students Admissions Scheme” is for non-local. This may not be fully web accessible applicants who:
- require a student visa / entry permit to study in Hong Kong; or
- are holders of a visa / entry permit under the Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG); or
- are holders of a dependant visa / entry permit who were 18 years old or above when they were issued with such visa / entry permit by the Director of Immigration.
Students from mainland China who are current Gaokao candidates are not eligible to apply through this Scheme and their applications will not be accepted.
They must apply through the National Colleges and Universities Enrolment System
General Admissions Requirements
For the Doctor of Philosophy, Doctor of Education, Doctor of Music, Doctor of Nursing, Doctor of Psychology, Doctor of Business Administration (Chinese), Doctor of Social Science in Applied Social Science Programmes, the applicant shall have:
- a master’s degree obtained from a recognized university; or
- a bachelor’s degree, normally with Second Class Honours in the upper division or above, and have been registered in a course of study for a master’s degree at this University for at least one year and have demonstrated research ability; or
- been registered in a course of study for a doctoral degree at a recognized university for at least one year, and have been approved for admission by the Graduate Council; or
- obtained the degrees of M.B., Ch.B., or equivalent, or under special circumstances, the degree of bachelor, for admission to programmes of the Faculty of Medicine.
For a master’s programmes (other than the Executive Master of Business Administration (EMBA) Programme), the applicant shall have:
- graduated from a recognized university and obtained a bachelor’s degree, normally with honours not lower than Second Class; or
- graduated from an honours programme of a recognized university with a bachelor’s degree, normally achieving an average grade of not lower than “B”; or
- completed a course of study in a tertiary educational institution and obtained professional or similar qualifications equivalent to an honours degree.
English Language Requirements for Admission
To fulfill the University’s minimum English language requirements for admission to postgraduate programmes, applicants should have:
- obtained a degree from a university in Hong Kong1 or taken a degree programme of which the medium of instruction was English; or
- achieved scores in the following English Language tests2 as indicated:
- TOEFL: 550 (Paper-based)/79 (Internet-based);
- IELTS (Academic): 6.5;
- GMAT: Band 21 (Verbal); or
- obtained a pass grade in English in one of the following examinations:
- Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (AS Level);
- Hong Kong Higher Level Examination;
- CUHK Matriculation Examination;
- General Certificate of Education Examination (GCE) Advanced Level (A-Level)/Advanced Subsidiary Level (AS-Level); or
- achieved Level 4 or above in the English Language subject of the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) Examination; or
- obtained a recognized professional qualification, provided that the examination was conducted in English.
- This is based on the understanding that English is the medium of instruction of degree programmes offered by universities in Hong Kong.
Moreover, graduates from universities in Hong Kong should have fulfilled the English language requirements of the institution concerned when they were admitted to the degree programmes.
The CUHK Graduate School may request applicants to provide additional supporting documents to prove their English proficiency.
2. TOEFL and IELTS scores are considered valid for two years from the test date. GMAT scores are considered valid for five years from the test date.
How To Apply For CUHK Design Talent International Scholarship
To apply for the Chinese University of Hong Kong Design Talent International Scholarship for the 2023/2024 academic year, kindly follow the steps that I will show you here:
- Visit the CUHK Postgraduate Admission portal at: CUHKPostgraguate.admissionportal
- Create a student account on the portal
Note: Applicant can only create one account in the portal.
- Proceed with the application for the admission into your chosen area of specialization.
- Only applicants who submit complete would be considered for the scholarship. No other special application for the scholarship will required for consideration.
Documents Required for the Application of CUHK Design Talent International Scholarship
After you have submitted a completed online application on the postgraduate admission portal, the next thing that you must do is to submit clearly scanned copy of the under listed documents by the deadline.
✓ Copies of Certificates of Academic/Professional Qualifications
Copies of certificates of academic/professional qualifications may include university certificates of graduation, examination certificates and proof of other qualifications.
Applicants who obtained degrees from Mainland China should provide Chinese version of both degree certificate and graduation certificate.
✓ Copies of Official Transcripts and Grading Schemes of All Tertiary Level Studies
Copies of Official transcripts (with a complete record of courses attended and examination results) and grading schemes of all tertiary level studies should be submitted.
- CUHK qualifications (Bachelor’s or higher degrees):
- Photocopies of transcripts issued by CUHK are accepted (not applicable to CUHK (Shenzhen) qualifications).
The University reserves the right to require applicants to submit original transcripts.
3. Other qualifications:
Starting from the 2020-21 intakes, scanned copies of the latest official academic transcripts with official chop from the Registry or Office responsible for handling student records is accepted for issuing the admission offers.
However, documents printed from the system or any other documents without a proper letterhead and an official chop will not be accepted. Besides, there should be explanatory notes printed / attached to the transcript indicating the grading scheme of the University.
- Certificates and transcripts, which are not in English or Chinese, should be accompanied by an official certified translation in English.
- Admitted students are required to submit original copies of those official documents for verification by the conditions fulfillment deadline. Otherwise, they will not be allowed to register and commence studies at the University.
Official transcripts should be sent directly to relevant unit stated in Admission Notification in a sealed envelope from the issuing university.
Some universities may only issue electronic official transcripts to other institutions. In that event, official electronic transcripts should be sent to relevant unit directly from the issuing university.
- Applicants who obtained degrees from universities in Mainland China are required to provide a valid Online Verification Report of Higher Education Qualification Certificate issued by the CHESICC together with their degree certificate and graduation certificate.
- The University may require applicants to provide verification reports of the qualification obtained. Applicants will be notified by the Graduate Division concerned/Graduate School separately.
If you are currently in the final year of your study, you are required to submit the final official transcript before starting your postgraduate study at CUHK.
✓ Proof of English Language Proficiency
Applicants are required to fulfill the English Language Admissions Requirement by submitting any one of the following documents:
- A copy of graduation certificate issued by a university in Hong Kong; or
- A certifying letter issued by the Registry of the university confirming the medium of instruction of your degree programme was English; or
- Original valid official score report of TOEFL (University’s institution code: 0812)/IELTS (Academic)/GMAT (Verbal) sent directly from the test organization to the University (HKPFS only accepts score report of TOEFL or IELTS (Academic)); or
- Certification of Results of the English Language subject in Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (AS Level), or Hong Kong Higher Level Examination, or Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination provided by Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority; or
- Certified true copy of Statement of Results/report of the English Language subject in General Certificate of Education (GCE) A-level or AS-level/CUHK Matriculation Examination; or
- Certified true copy of certificate of a recognized professional qualification for which the examination was conducted in English.
Different programmes may accept different professional qualifications, please contact the respective Graduate Division for details.
NOTE: TOEFL and IELTS scores are considered valid for two years from the test date. GMAT scores are considered valid for five years from the test date.
The certified true copy must be issued by the official organization or relevant test organization. The University may require applicants to provide the original documents for verification.
✓ Confidential Recommendations/Referee’s Report
Applicants are required to invite TWO referees to complete the Confidential Recommendations Report. After you have successfully submitted the application, you can input information of the TWO referees through the Online Application System for Postgraduate Programmes.
The University will send invitations for confidential recommendations to the referees.
✓ A Photocopy of Hong Kong Identity Card or Other Identity Document
✓ Assessment Report from the HKCAAVQ, if Necessary
Applicants with degrees awarded by overseas universities by distance learning or by completing a curriculum of short duration may be required to provide assessment report from the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic & Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ) on the level of qualification obtained.
Applicants will be notified by the Graduate Division concerned separately.
✓ Other Materials as Required by Specific Programmes
The University may require applicants to submit additional information or documentary proof if deemed necessary. All documents submitted will not be returned.
If the application is unsuccessful, all documents will be destroyed. Applicants are required to provide true, accurate and complete information in support of their applications.
Any misrepresentation in the documents and information provided will result in disqualification of their applications and subsequent enrolments in the University.
All applications for the CUHK Design International Scholarship Award for 2023/2024 academic year must be submitted on or before 15th April, 2023.
Worth of the Scholarship
The Scholarship will fund half the tuition fees for the selected applicant’s self-financed students of their Master of Science in Urban Design and Master of Architecture Programmes – (Up to HK$110,000).
I hope that you have found this article very informative. Kindly share it to others using the social media platforms given below.
Click HERE for all ongoing International Scholarship Awards
Please do well to share this article with others.