The portal for the application of the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship programmes in now open. Check the details here.
Government of Ireland offers Postgraduate Scholarships to International students who are on their way to pursuing their Master’s Degrees, Doctoral Degree (PhD), and generally to all Research scholars from different countries of the world. The scholarship programmes is meant to provide all necessary supports to students with innovative minds in proffering solutions to challenges encountered within their localities and the world at large.
In this article, we are going to provide general information about the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarships and how to make the applications successfully. Kindly read to the end if you really desire to get more detailed information about this academic opportunity.
About Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme
The Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme is an established national initiative, funded by the Department of Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science, and managed by the Council.
The Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme is unique in the Irish research landscape and complements other channels for funded postgraduate education in the Irish ecosystem. Among its features are:
- individual, prestigious awards for excellent research in the name of the applicant;
- an objective selection process using international, independent expert peer review;
- funding across all disciplines, from archaeology to zoology; and
- awards for bottom-up, non-directed research, with the exception of those funded by our strategic funding partners.
Pioneering proposals addressing new and emerging fields of research or those introducing creative, innovative approaches are welcomed. Proposals of an interdisciplinary nature are also encouraged as it is recognised that advancing fundamental understanding is achieved by integrating information, techniques, tools and perspectives from two or more disciplines.
The Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme is highly competitive, with an average success rate of 18% over the past five years. Successful awardees under the programme are recognised as demonstrating world-class potential as future research leaders.
- Belgium Scholarships without IELTS 2024 [Fully Funded]
- Danish Government Scholarships For Masters Students
- Italian Government Scholarship For Foreign Students
- Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship
Strategic funding partners
A number of government departments and agencies partner with the Irish Research Council to support the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme as a mechanism to deliver on shared national objectives. The Irish Research Council’s strategic funding partners for 2024 are:
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth
- Department of Foreign Affairs
- Met Éireann
Read More: University of Glasgow scholarships
What the Scholarship Covers
The value of the scholarship will be up to a maximum of €28,000 per annum in any approved year and will consist of the following:
- a stipend of €19,000 per annum;
- a contribution to fees, including non-EU fees, up to a maximum of €5,750 per annum; and
- eligible direct research expenses of €3,250 per annum.
Who is Eligible for Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarships
To be eligible for the this scholarship programme 2024 application, the applicant must;
- be an international student (foreign student) applying to study in Ireland
- be affiliated with an eligible Irish higher education institution or research-performing organisation.
- not have had two previous unsuccessful applications to the relevant programme, including to strategic partner themes.
- This applies regardless of whether the applicant has changed their host institution or research topic since a previous submission.
- Applications will only be accepted in either the Irish or English language
Read More: Reach Oxford Scholarship Program
How to Apply
Potential applicants should read the call documentation carefully to ascertain whether or not they are eligible to apply. Indicative versions of the applicant and supervisor forms are provided for information purposes only. All participants must create and submit their forms via the online system.
|Call open||31 August 2023|
|FAQ deadline||16:00 (Irish time) 05 October 2023|
|Applicant deadline||16:00 (Irish time) 12 October 2023|
|Supervisor /Mentor deadline||16:00 (Irish time) 19 October 2023|
|Research office endorsement deadline||16:00 (Irish time) 26 October 2023|
|Call outcome||April 2024|
|Award start date||1 September 2024|
Please note that the timings provided here are indicative and may be subject to change.
If you do not find the answer to your query in the call documentation, you should contact the research office in your proposed institution which will provide information and clarification on the call. Research offices can send any queries they are unable to clarify to [email protected].
Required Documents for the Government of Ireland Scholarships:
The following are the documents required for the application of the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarships:
- Educational documents
- Study Plan/Statement of Purpose
- Research Proposal
- Copy of Passport
- Supervision details (if any)
- Recommendation forms
- Language proof (if any)
- Additional documents if any
Read About: How To Write A Standard Motivational Statement
Other Fully Funded Scholarships:
- CSC Scholarship For American Students | Shaanxi Normal University, China
- Chevening Scholarship UK | Fully Funded
- Shaanxi Normal University International Student Scholarship Program
- Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship | Fully-Funded
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarships For International Students | Fully-Funded
- Apply For Queen Elizabeth Common Wealth Scholarship For International Students
Summary of Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarships
- The Ireland scholarships for international students 2024 are funded by the Department of Education and Skills and managed by the Council, Government of Ireland
- Research master’s degree
- Structured research master’s degree
- Traditional doctoral degree
- Structured doctoral degree
One to four years depending on the type of degree being pursued and the date of first registration (where applicable).
- Government of Ireland Research Master’s Degree Scholarship Duration: 1 Year
- Government of Ireland Structured Research Master’s Scholarship Duration: 2 Years
- Government of Ireland Traditional Doctoral Degree Scholarship Duration: 3 Years
- Government of Ireland Structured Doctoral Scholarship Duration: 4 Years
Eligible fields for the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship:
- Humanities and Arts
- General Sciences
- Natural Sciences
- Health Sciences
- Social Sciences
Eligible Universities under the Government of Ireland Scholarship 2024:
- Atlantic Technological University
- Coláiste Mhuire Marino
- Dublin City University
- Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies
- Dublin Dental Hospital
- Dundalk Institute of Technology
- Dún Laoghaire Institute of Art, Design & Technology
- Mary Immaculate College
- Maynooth University
- Munster Technological University
- National College of Art and Design
- National College of Ireland
- National University of Ireland, Galway
- RCSI University of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Royal Irish Academy
- Royal Irish Academy of Music
- South East Technological University
- Technological University Dublin
- Technological University of the Shannon: Midlands Midwest
- University College Cork
- University College Dublin
- University of Dublin, Trinity College
- University of Limerick
I hope you have found this article helpful. In case of any other questions about Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarships 2024, kindly make use of the comment section below this article.
Do well to share this information to others!