The application for University of Oulu International Scholarships 2023/2024 is ongoing. International students who are studying the university in Finland are advised to make their application now. Note that the deadline for the application is on 17th January, 2024.
This scholarship is an opportunity to get a partial or 100% financial support for undergraduate and Master’s Degree students from different countries of the world. It is available for application as soon as you gain admission into the University of Oulu, Finland.
University of Oulu International Scholarship
The University of Oulu International Scholarship Plan provides different scholarships to academically talented international students studying for a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree at the University of Oulu. Tuition fees and scholarships depend on the programme in question. Applicants can apply for the scholarships on the online application as part of the admissions process.
Eligibility Requirements to Apply for University of Oulu International Scholarship
Applicants are eligible to apply for the University of Oulu Scholarship 2023-2024 if they meet the admissions criteria and are liable to pay the tuition fee. The scholarship application will be processed only if the applicant meets the admissions criteria. University of Oulu Scholarship can be received only once.
Citizens of EU/EEA countries or Switzerland
Citizens of European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) countries or Switzerland studying in an international Bachelor’s and Master’s Programme at the University of Oulu are not required to pay tuition fees.
Citizens of non-EU/EEA countries
Students who are not citizens of an EU/EEA member state or Switzerland are liable to pay the tuition fee.
Exceptions to this general rule are students who
- Are non-EU/EEA citizens studying in the Finnish degree programmes
- Are citizens of EU/EEA countries or Switzerland or the family members of such persons
- Persons who have:
- an EU Blue Card
- continuous (type A) residence permit in Finland. Please note that from the spring 2022 onward the legislation has changed and the new students applying for student visa will receive continuous residence permit A based on their study place (previous residence permit B). This permit, however, will not give exemption from the tuition fee. The grounds for the permit are stated in the card (student).
- permanent (type P) residence permit in Finland
- an EU residence permit for third-country citizens with long-term residence (type P-EU) in Finland
- EU Family Member’s Residence Card in Finland
- Brexit permit
From 2022 onward, UK citizens residing in Finland as well as their family members should hold right of residence under the withdrawal agreement (Brexit permit) in order to be exempted from the tuition fee. The permit must be granted by Finnish Immigration Services.
Applicants who are UK citizens and do not hold right of residence under the withdrawal agreement are required to pay the tuition fee. There are scholarships available.
Who can apply for Bachelor’s studies?
You can submit an application for a Bachelor’s programme, if you have completed one of the following qualifications:
- a foreign qualification that provides eligibility for higher education studies in the awarding country
- an International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma completed outside of Finland
- a European Baccalaureate (EB) diploma completed outside of Finland
- a Reifeprüfung (RP) or a Deutsches Internationales Abitur diploma (DIA) completed outside of Finland
- a Cambridge Advanced International Certificate of Education (AICE) completed outside of Finland
- a Finnish or foreign higher education degree (Bachelor’s, Master’s, Licenciate, PhD)
Who can apply for Master’s studies?
A successful applicant has obtained their first academic degree, normally a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, from an institution of higher education. As a rule, the Bachelor’s degree is the lower academic degree. This degree should be equivalent of at least three years of full-time studies (180 ECTS). Your previous degree must give you eligibility for Master’s studies in your country of education.
Applicants graduating after the application period
Students who are on their last term/semester are eligible to apply.
In the case that the applicant is accepted for Bachelor`s programme for studies beginning in the Autumn 2024, the applicant has to submit officially certified copies of their upper secondary education degree certificate by July 11, 2024, 3pm (EET).
In the case that the applicant is accepted for Master`s programme for studies beginning in the Autumn 2024, the applicant has to submit officially certified copies of their Bachelor’s degree certificate and the final transcript of records by July 31, 2024, 3pm (EET).
Applicants are required to upload a copy of their latest transcript of records during the application period on their electronic application. If you receive the degree certificate and the final transcript of records during the application period, it is recommended that you submit them as well. You should point out the anticipated graduation date on the application and submit the documents you have at the time of applying. Do not wait to receive your final diploma or degree certificate if it is not available during the application period.
All applicants are required to prove a high level of proficiency in English language. All programmes ask the applicant to submit documented evidence of their level of English. To find out the different approved documentation of English language proficiency, please visit the Language requirements page. Please note that there are no exceptions to these rules.
It should be noted that most unsuccessful applicants in recent years failed to prove their level of English sufficiently.
Other admission requirements
If you have graduated from or have a study right in a programme you are applying for, remember to check admissions criteria for the programme at Studyinfo to see if it is possible to apply again.
Please visit the website Documents for the detailed list of required enclosures for application. Also note that all documents are listed as obligatory for application and no exceptions are made in requirements.
The application will be processed in the Selection Committee only if:
- The applicant submits an application in the requested manner
- The applicant submits the application documents in the requested manner
- The applicant’s previous education gives eligibility for a Master’s or Bachelor’s studies
- The applicant’s language proficiency satisfies the language requirements
Applying with an upper secondary degree completed in Finland
Please remember to ALWAYS
- Upload copies of your educational documents in the electronic application system, OR to
- Share your educational information via a link on your application in Studyinfo.
An applicant who has completed their secondary education in a Finnish educational institute does NOT have to submit verified secondary education certificate, if
- The applicant has completed a Finnish matriculation examination (ylioppilastutkinto) in 1990 or after, or if the matriculation examination will be completed in 2023. You also do not need to submit certificates of retakes or new added matriculation exams if they are completed in 1990 or after, or if they will be completed in 2023.
- The applicant has completed a Finnish vocational upper secondary education (ammatillinen perustutkinto) in 2017 or after, or if the education will be completed in 2023.
- The applicant has completed a Finnish further vocational qualification (ammattitutkinto) or a specialist vocational qualification (erityisammattitutkinto) in 2018 or after, or if the qualification will be completed in 2023.
University of Oulu will verify your educational information automatically in the national database.
Applying with a higher education degree completed in Finland
Please ALWAYS remember to either
- Upload copies of your educational documents in the electronic application system, OR
- Share your educational information via a link on your application in Studyinfo
An applicant who has completed or is completing their Bachelor’s degree at one of the Finnish universities or universities of applied sciences do NOT need to submit verified educational documents by mail, as University of Oulu has electronic access to the required information if
- The applicant’s degree was completed at the earliest on 1 January 2003, and they have a Finnish personal identification code.
University of Oulu will verify your educational information automatically in the national database.
If your degree was completed before 1 January 2003, or you do not have a Finnish personal identification code, you must submit your educational documents following the general verification requirements.
Please note that all educational documents awarded by the following universities must be submitted following the general verification requirements:
- National Defence University (Maanpuolustuskorkeakoulu),
- Novia University of Applied Sciences (Yrkeshögskolan Novia)
- Åland University of Applied Sciences (Högskolan på Åland)
Application for University of Oulu International Scholarship
There is no separate application system for the University of Oulu International Scholarship. Applications for the University of Oulu International Scholarship are submitted together with the application for the preferred study option in Studyinfo portal.
Application Period: The application period for the University of Oulu International Scholarship is January 3, 2024 – January 17, 2024 (15.00 GMT +2).
How do I apply for the University of Oulu International Scholarship?
To apply for University of Oulu International Scholarship, you have to follow the procedure given below:
- Fill in an online application at www.studyinfo.fi during the application period January 3-17, 2024.
- Upload the scanned copies of your educational documents, proof of language skills, and programme-specific attachments to the online application.
- If you have graduated from an educational institution in Finland, please make sure that Studyinfo registry has your updated schooling information.
- The documents you upload to your application will be used to evaluate your eligibility for the degree programme.
- Invitations to possible entrance examinations are sent to all invited applicants by email.
- The results of student selection will be published in the Spring 2024.
- Make sure you meet the deadline for document verification! If you do not verify your educational documents and proof of language skills by the given deadline (please check the Deadlines page for the dates), your study place will be cancelled.
- Remember to pay your tuition fee (if applicable) and to accept your study place
Also Apply For:
- University of Glasgow scholarships
- CSC Scholarship For American Students | Shaanxi Normal University, China
- Shaanxi Normal University International Student Scholarship Program
- Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship | Fully-Funded
- Italian Government Scholarship For Foreign Students
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarships For International Students | Fully-Funded
- Apply For Queen Elizabeth Common Wealth Scholarship For International Students
Who should I contact if I have problems with my application?
The Finnish National Board of Education, the Finnish Universities, and the Finnish embassies are cooperating in informing foreign applicants whatever questions they might have regarding Finnish educational system.
If an applicant wants help e.g. in completing the application or something else relating to the application process, it is recommended that the applicant contacts the University in question, the Finnish National Board of Education and/or their local Finnish Embassy. These are the only reliable sources of information.
Can someone else fill in the application for me?
The applicant should always fill in the application themselves and use their own contact details; this ensures that the applicant receives all important information directly from the University.
Does it cost something to fill in the application?
No, Filling in the online application is free of charge.
Selection criteria for University of Oulu Scholarship 2023-2024
Admissions and scholarships decisions will be taken at the same time. Those students successful in obtaining the University of Oulu International Scholarship will be notified at the same time as their offer of admission to their International study programme is confirmed. The selection criteria for the University of Oulu Scholarship are based on previous academic performance and academic potential.
Continuation of University of Oulu International Scholarship
After each academic year the progress of studies will be checked and the scholarship continues in the above-mentioned, programme-specific way if the student completes at minimum 60 credits per academic year. If a student does not achieve this requirement, he/she will be liable to pay the full international tuition fee for the next academic year if they wish to continue studying. An exception to this rule can be made if a student has been granted an approved leave from studies (e.g. due to serious illness).
I hope this article has been helpful. In case you have more questions about University of Oulu International Scholarship, kindly make use of the comment section below.