In this article, I am going to show you every thing that you need to know about How to Open German Blocked Bank Account. Every International Student that is desiring to study in Germany should take every information that is contained in this article very serious.
If you are an International Student, you have been successfully offered admission in any German University and your country does not belong to the European Economic Areas (EEA) or European Union Countries (EU), just know that this article is for you.
Before you start to apply for your German Study VISA and Resident Permit, it is required that you must have you Financial Resource Proof ready. This is also called Finanzierungsnachweis and it is important to show that you would be able cover to cover your living and study expenses in Germany. Opening a German Blocked Bank Account and depositing into it is the commonest way to show proof of financial resource.
If you would like to know more about German Blocked Bank Account, type, Requirements to open one and how to open it, kindly read this article to the end.
- German Blocked Bank Account
- Documents Required to Open a German Blocked Account in 2023
- How To Open German Blocked Bank Account
- Which Bank to Choose for Blocked Account in Germany?
- Opening a blocked account at Fintiba Germany in 2022
- Opening a blocked account at Deutsche Bank Germany in 2022
- FAQ about German Blocked Account
German Blocked Bank Account
German Blocked Bank Account is a unique type of bank account required by the international students in Germany to show their Financial Resource Proof, that they can afford their Living costs in Germany. The money in the blocked account is supposed to cover the expenses for one year in Germany. It can be opened by using the services of one of the banks i.e Fintiba or Deutsche Bank.
Although there can be many ways to show your financial proof while getting a visa and a residence permit, the blocked account is commonly used by many students. A blocked account is known as Sperrkonto in the German language and helps many foreign students to manage their expenses in Germany.
For 2023, the mandatory sum required by the German embassy/consulate to be deposited to the blocked bank account is €11,208. Once the student starts their first semester in Germany, he or she can withdraw an amount of €934 on a monthly basis.
See Also: DAAD Postgraduate Scholarship For International Students 2023-2024 | Study In Germany
Documents Required to Open a German Blocked Account in 2023
There is a number of documents required by the bank where you are going to open a blocked account. It also depends upon your country of origin. Fintiba bank requires only an ID card or passport to create a blocked account. On average it takes only 10 minutes to get your account ready.
However, Deutsche Bank requires some of the documents listed below to open your block account
- Application form
- University admission letter
- Prepaid fee
- Bank statement of the income
How To Open German Blocked Bank Account
Opening a blocked bank account in Germany is easy, just follow these steps:
You can open a blocked account by following the steps below:
- Choose the bank that can be either Fintiba or Deutsche Bank.
- For Deutsche Bank download the application form and fill it completely.
- For Fintiba Bank apply online
- If you have chosen a Deutsche Bank to take legalization by the German embassy
- Deposit your funds
- Get the confirmation of blocked account
University Of Chester Acceptance Rate, Admission And Requirements
University Of California Acceptance Rate
University Of Glasgow Acceptance Rate
University Of Chicago Acceptance Rate
Yale University Acceptance Rate
University Alabama Acceptance Rate, Admission Requirements & Rankings
University of Alberta Acceptance Rate, Admission and Requirements
Which Bank to Choose for Blocked Account in Germany?
As mentioned earlier there are two banks that provide the facility of blocked accounts in Germany i.e Fintiba and Deutsche Bank. Following is the comparison between the two banks to give you an overview of both of them.
|Time taken to open a blocked accountLess than 10||10 minutes||Several weeks|
|Monthly Maintenance Fee||€4.90||€5.90|
|Initial Service Fee||€89.00||€150.00|
|Attestation of documents at needed||No||Yes|
|Amount of money that can be withdrawn||€853||€853|
|Documents attestation fee||None||€10-30|
|Chance to get rejected||Unlikely||Yes|
|If I am under 18 years old can I apply for a blocked account id?||No||Yes|
|Health insurance service||Yes||No|
|Step-by-step guidance with the digital process||Yes||No|
|Support Response||Fast||Not Fast|
|Approved by the German Federal Office||Yes||Yes|
Opening a blocked account at Fintiba Germany in 2022
It is challenging as an international student to deal with all the processes of creating a bank account and managing all the issues alone.
Fortunately, there are such organizations that help you to manage your operations with the blocked account, acting as an agent, managing things for you.
One of these organizations is the Fintiba and is highly recommended. It helps international people in Germany by providing many services and one of them is the blocked account service. Additionally, it is also approved by the German Federal Foreign Service.
Following are some of the steps to open a blocked account in Fintiba Bank
- Fill out the application form with all the necessary information
- You will get access to the platform to manage the account
- Once the details are received, deposit the money and pay the bank fee
- Application is going to be processed
- When the money will be transferred, the confirmation email will be sent to you
When you arrive Germany, the Fintiba will assist you to create another separate bank account, where you will be able to transfer your money from the Blocked Account every month. You might also be required to do legitimation in Germany, depending on you country of origin.
Opening a blocked account at Deutsche Bank Germany in 2022
Until a few years ago the Deutsche Bank has been the only option for international students to open a blocked account in Germany. Deutsche Bank is another option for international students to open a block account.
The following are the steps to open a block account at Deutsche Bank.
- Fill in the application form with all of your information
- Print two copies of the application form
- Get your appointment at the German embassy with all your documents ready.
- After the embassy completes the legalization of documents, they will be sent to the bank in Germany
- The application will be processed
- The Bank will send an email to you that your account is ready with all the other details.
- Deposit the money after paying the bank fee.
- The bank will give you the confirmation of the deposit.
You can go ahead to deposit money into you German blocked account and move on with Visa application once you have received a confirmation from the Deutsche Bank.
For the attestation you need to submit the following documents to the German embassy or consulate in your country of residence:
- Application Form for a Deutsche Blocked Bank Account, fully filled with correct and honest information (Download the form here!)
- your valid passport, alongside with two black and white copies
- your admission letter from the German University where you will carry your studies, alongside with a copy of it
- a prepaid envelope (from a private provider such as FedEx, DHL or US to forward the application to Germany) addressed to Deutsche Bank, “Deutsche Bank”, Privat- und Geschäftskunden AG, Alter Wall 53, 20457 Hamburg, Germany
- documents that prove the source of your funds (e.g. bank statements)
You will have to sign the application form in presence of a Consular Officer in order to have your signature certified.
The following fees will apply:
- authentication of signature: 20€
- Language Course Participants:
- authentication of signature: 20€
- certification of the copy of the passport page: 10€
Sending your application to Deutsche Bank
At the German embassy they will certify your application form, which then you shall send to this address through the German embassy consulate:
DB Privat- und Firmenkundenbank AG
Alter Wall 53
Along with the application form, you will need to send the following documents as well:
- Certified copies of your passport
- A copy of the admission letter from your university/ college
- Evidence of the source of your funds (e.g. bank statements)
The Process to Open a Blocked Account at Expatrio
The whole process of opening your Blocked Account at Expatrio can be completed online. You will be guided through the process step-by-step and the account will be opened in your name. You will only need a valid passport to open your Blocked Account and the passport doesn’t need to be certified by the embassy. Here are the steps to open your account:
- Open a Blocked Account at Expatrio website. You will find detailed information about opening your Blocked Account and if you have further questions they offer a free consultation.
- Fill out the application form. Once you’ve started the process, you will be directed to an online application form. Here, you need to provide your personal details and verify your identity (scanning your valid passport). Once the verification process is completed, your Blocked Account is opened. This takes at most 10 minutes.
- Deposit money. Now that your Blocked Account is opened at Expatrio, you need to deposit the required amount of money to your account. Note that international transfers normally take up to 5 days to be completed and sometimes more depending on your local bank.
- Receive a confirmation email. As soon as the funds are transferred, Expatrio will automatically send you an email to confirm that your deposit is accepted, and your blocked account is now activated.
- Make an appointment at the German embassy. As soon as you receive this email, you arrange an appointment at the German embassy. Print out the blocked account confirmation email because you will need it at the embassy to prove your financial resources. That’s it! Once you have your Blocked Account opened, you have completed one of the most important requirements to successfully get your student visa.
- Access your money. Once you arrive in Germany, you need to open a current bank account at any bank of your choice where your monthly payout will be transferred from your Expatrio Blocked Account. Important! Do not forget to finish the last steps in your Expatrio account and upload all the required documents to get access to your money.
George And Marsha Ivany President’s First And Best Scholarships | University Of Saskatchewan
University of Glasgow scholarships
Shaanxi Normal University International Student Scholarship Program
Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship | Fully-Funded
Italian Government Scholarship For Foreign Students
Commonwealth Shared Scholarships For International Students 2023 | Fully-Funded
Apply For Queen Elizabeth Common Wealth Scholarship For International Students | 2023 Academic Year
University of Saskatchewan Chancellor’s Scholarship
FAQ about German Blocked Account
How long does it take to open a blocked account?
- When opening the blocked account on Expatrio, the process only takes around 10 minutes.
- Opening the blocked account directly via the Deutsche Bank’s local branch might take up to 1 week.
- Opening the blocked account via the German Consulate/Embassy might take up to several weeks, so apply early!
Can I withdraw money from my Bank Account?
Of course, you can! The main idea behind this type of bank account is to ensure that the student will have a regular monthly income for at least the first year of study, which will be enough to cover their basic needs.
You will be able to withdraw an amount of 934 euros per month, but not more. You do not have to withdraw this amount all at once, you can instead do it little by little, depending on your choice.
In what language are the forms?
Unfortunately, if your native language is not either English or German, then there is no form in your mother language which you can fulfil. You will have to complete the form either in German or English, depending on your choice.
How much will the account management services cost me?
When opening a blocked account at Expatrio, you have to pay an initial fee of € 49.00 and a monthly fee of € 5.00.
When opening a blocked account at Deutsche Bank, you have to pay an initial fee of € 150.00 and a monthly fee of € 5.90.
Will I need a second account that is not blocked?
In order to receive your monthly payouts from Expatrio, you need to open a current account at any bank of your choice.
What kind of documents can I submit to verify the origin of funds?
Expatrio does not require you to verify the origin of funds that are transferred.
For Deutsche Bank, however, you can submit any type of document that proves you have the funds for the blocked account, as a bank statement, proof of a scholarship or proof of a donation. None of these documents should be older than 3 months. If more than one person donates to your account, then the names of all of them must be listed on the application form, and the appropriate letters of verification must be attached.
Remember that these documents must be clear and legible, in either German or English.
How am I going to receive the account number?
You will receive the details on your blocked account, IBAN and Bank ID Code, via email or by post to your registered address, upon the opening of your account. Take care to check your spam regularly since the email may be stored there.
What should I do if I receive a confirmation for the account opening with incorrect personal data?
Contact the bank as soon as you receive the email and ask them to correct their mistake. They will correct it and write back to you to explain why the mistake happened.
Can I send the forms without authenticating them?
For Deutsche Bank the requirement to authenticate the forms is not optional, therefore you must authenticate them before mailing them to the bank. With Expatrio you do not need to authenticate anything.
Can I send the forms by fax or scanned by email?
Unfortunately, Deutsche Bank only original forms sent by mail are accepted. At Expatrio, however, everything is done online.
Will my account close after I stop using it?
Deutsche Bank: When you stop using your account, it will remain open for two more years, even if there is no credit or activity. After two years it will automatically close if you don’t send a request to the bank to close it previously.
Expatrio: your blocked account will be closed automatically unless you decide to extend it for visa extension purposes.
What if my request to open a blocked account is rejected?
Try to find out what went wrong and then submit a new request with all the supporting documents and verification.
Can I make transfers in my home country’s currency which is not euro?
You can transfer the money in your home currency if the sum you transfer equals the required amount in euros. As soon as your transfer this money, it will automatically be converted in euros.
Expatrio, however, recommends transferring money in euros. This guarantees simpler banking processes and faster issuance of blocking confirmation.
I still have not received any information on the money I transferred a long time ago, why?
Normally you receive a confirmation letter in your email within 2 working days after the transfer. However, if you do not, please contact the bank in your home country and ask them about the case. Before doing so, try to check the spam mail since sometimes the email may be stored there.
How do I find my branch and account number?
When you receive your blocked account confirmation letter these details will be given there.
I have transferred more money than required, can I access that money?
Yes, you can. You can withdraw all that money at once, or little by little, according to your wish. Once that money is over, you will then be able to withdraw no more than 934 euros per month.
What if I have a need for more money than the available amount?
In that case, you need to go to your local immigration office and require an account release approval. Upon receiving the document submit it to your branch of the bank. After that, the released amount will be available for you to withdraw.
Can I get my money back if my visa application is rejected?
You will have to submit a document either from the local German immigration office, which contains the deblocking of your account or the original notice of rejection for the visa application, stamped by the German embassy/consulate. You will have to send the documents by mail or email depending on the blocked account provider.
Can I keep using the blocked account after I finish my studies in Germany?
Deutsche Bank: After your blocked account expires, it will continue to work as a normal current account, if you wish to keep using it. However, remember that the account is free to use for students, but not for graduates.
Expatrio: Your blocked account will be closed automatically unless you decide to extend it for visa extension purposes.